Tuesday, October 18, 2011

1930's Sugar Sack Dress




Dear Friends,

This dress is one of my most unique. It is handmade (no tags) and the material appears to be fabric from a sugar sack...well a sack of some kind-- I just guessed sugar as the print is all scenes from and names of islands in the Caribbean. It has elbow length sleeves a knee length hem. I definitely would guess this was made and worn somewhere in the south during the great depression.

It is a small piece of history. I'd love to know it's full story.

Thanks for reading friends!

Sincerely,
Nora Jane

1 comment:

  1. This is very cool and interesting. I've read many fictional stories set during the Great Depression, and making/wearing dresses from sacks (feed, sugar) was very popular then to save money on clothes. I think you're on the right track, and I too now would love to know this dress's history! :)

    ReplyDelete